Thursday, April 15, 2010

A New Endeavor

We began a new subject of study today.  I've long felt it important to instill musical knowledge and appreciation in our students, but as I was not taught well in my youth, I did not know how to incorporate this in our home studies.  On the recommendation of the My Father's World curriculum, I purchased the $3 CD "The Story of Tchaikovsky in Words and Music."  I can say without a doubt that it was $3 well spent.  I immediately enjoyed listening to the selected music while a narrator discussed the composer's life.  I learned so much!

Until this afternoon, I didn't know if the children would enjoy or listen to the music and story, but they seemed enthralled and made observations about the music and the story.  We will continue to study the great composers in this way as well as learning about the orchestra and its instruments with a book and CD combination called "Those Amazing Musical Instruments."

I'm so excited to share this learning with my students.  I'm learning so much with them!

4 comments:

  1. So it was only $3? My kids love classical music and I am sure they would love to learn more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. There's a whole series of them for $3. I've listened to Beethoven and Stephen Foster and John Phillip Sousa. You can borrow a few if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Where did you get them? Emma and Madison love to try and figure out what instruments they hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazon.com...see link above in post.

    ReplyDelete